Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Home schooling

About a year ago I participated in a study regarding home schooling children on the autism spectrum. The individual who was doing the research recently contacted me to let me know her article was picked up. I am thrilled that this topic is getting more attention. There are so many creative ways to teach our children and home schooling has received a "bad rap" in the past mostly because people are ill informed.  Home schooling has been so successful for Max and I am sure I will continue to supplement his therapy services with home schooling for years to come. It is time consuming, but so can endless IEP meetings and a school system that is unable to provide a true, quality education that is individualized for Max's needs. Avery will most likely not need a home school curriculum, but if she does, I am happy to accommodate. Thanks to the researchers who are giving home schooling children with ASD the positive attention and respect it deserves! I will post the article when it is published.

No comments:

Post a Comment