Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Two Kids and Too Many Decisions

With the recent transition to center based services and too much time commuting to get there it has been challenging to make decisions about how long we will continue. Avery needs to get to school eventually and frankly so does Max. Our system of checks and balances is being seriously pushed to it's limits. I am drowning in choices and there is no definitive way to decide what is best without sacrificing something for everyone in the family.

I love the center and the therapists there, but this insane commute is almost too much and who knows what a harsh Minnesota winter will do. Also, how long can these kids really stay in ABA with a complete absence of other services. Both kids need to find their place in the world without a 1:1 therapist guiding their way, but when do we make this transition and even more importantly- HOW? Financially, I need to be working again and this presents a new dilemma.

It was so much easier when we just had to make decisions for one child on the spectrum.  With two, I feel like my head is going to explode some days. I want to make sure I make the right choice for everyone in the family and now we are at a fork in the road where no matter what we do someone sacrifices something. I guess that is part of being a family. Maybe we have just been lucky in the last 5 years or maybe these choices just become harder as the kids get older.

I should just be grateful that we have so many options and good ones too. I have to trust my motherly instincts and go for it. Nothing is forever and I suppose if we could handle the diagnostic turmoil and heartache, we can handle a bunch of tough choices. This is going to be a year of changes for our family that is for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment