Friday, March 19, 2010

Home based services

March 4th marked 3 years of full time, home based ABA therapy. WOW!!! When we first signed up for this we thought, maybe a year or two, but that is all we can handle.It is only a season, right? It is a crazy life we lead. Six days a week, 52 weeks a year, we have anywhere from 2-4 additional adults in our home providing wonderful behavioral therapy services. It requires me to stay home since a parent or other responsible adult must be present while they are working in your home. These hardworking therapists see absolutely EVERYTHING. Good days, bad days, no coffee mornings, dirty dishes, and just about everything else you can think of as it relates to my family's daily life. It can be very invasive at times, but worth every minute when I see how my children are learning. It is a surrender of our privacy and natural home life, but I look at it like I temporarily turned my home into a clinic. I have a trampoline, mats, and cuddle swing in my living room- how's that for feng shui!

Our three years will be over soon as my Max and Avery will move onto to center based ABA services through the same company. I am excited to have my house back and proud that my children are ready for the next step. I understand why some people would not even consider it an option to do home based ABA.  It requires a massive sacrifice on behalf of parents, which for us included my career, privacy and serious down sizing! At the end of the day though, this has been more worth it than I could have ever dreamed! Thank you to all of the hard working therapists who put forth their best efforts to help my angels. We are looking forward to the next stage of therapy!

2 comments: