Thursday, March 18, 2010

To be sad or not to be sad, that is the question.

All children are challenging and parenthood is a battle sometimes! When it comes to autism and the impact it has on families many reply, "are you sad?" or "how terrible for you!" Yep, I have been sad and yep, it can be more than terrible at times. I don't come from a place of "I wouldn't change a thing," because I think people who say that are in some ways lying to themselves. Of course I love and adore my children for a million different reasons regardless of disability, but to say I am happy they have autism or that I wouldn't change it is a lie, but not for my benefit. Of course I would prefer if my 8 year old was toilet trained or that my 4 year old could say more than 10 words independently. Obviously, I wish Zoe could talk to her siblings and they could actually talk back and engage with her like other children do, but this isn't going to happen. Instead, it is what it is and I am gonna make the best of it each and every day. I do wish they didn't have autism, but sadness and tears only last a moment. The pride and joy I share with them everyday is what keeps me going. I feel as though I appreciate each milestone a little more and am eager to get them to the next level.

Autism is hardly a dream come true, but it is also NOT a death sentence. My children are healthy and most importantly HAPPY! I am blessed to be their mother and truly proud! We don't need pity, just support, patience and compassion, but really, don't we all?

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh. This post is so true. I don't know if anyone would wish a "life changing" event on anyone. We are living what people fear, what people don't want. Our fairy tale life has a new spin........and what we are learning is that it is o.k. It isn't what we had dreamed of, but to say it isn't beautiful, rewarding, meaningful, purposeful, joyful would be a lie. I agree with you when people might say I wouldn't change a thing, they are fooling themselves. I guess everyone has their journey, and this is ours. Fairy tale or not.......it is full of all the highs and lows a normal fairy tale might have just with it's own unique spin:)

    ReplyDelete