Friday, April 23, 2010

Acceptance

According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, to accept (in various contexts of course) means to receive willingly; to give approval for; to endure without protest or reaction; to regard as proper, normal, or inevitable; and to recognize as true 

Interestingly enough, I think I have officially come to a place of acceptance with autism. At least according to this definition.  I may not like most of what autism has to offer my children and acceptance has taken a while to find.  I do willingly accept the challenge on both good days and bad. I approve of the diagnosis. I am never in doubt that my children have autism. I endure the path parenting has taken me, although  I do protest at times.  I am not a saint! I don't know how normal autism is, but who is normal anyway? For us, ASD is our normal and I can certainly accept that!

No comments:

Post a Comment