Thursday, April 8, 2010

Why Can't We All Play Nice?

I am so blessed to live in an area where the options for autism therapies and services are almost endless. One would assume it is easy to piece together services for their children in an ala carte manner specific to their needs and level of ASD.  People move to MN to receive the "cadillac" level of care we have access to at the school, medical and county arenas. So my question remains... Why can't we all play nice?

It is one of my greatest frustrations that the providers cannot get it together enough to truly collaborate in a professional manner that is in the best interest of the child. I love our ABA provider, but their lack of flexibility when working with the school district or other outside direct therapies like Speech and OT is ridiculous. Why would anyone put all of their eggs in one basket with so many services available? ASD is a spectrum disorder, which by my logic means that there is going to be a spectrum of therapies and techniques needed to help our children learn and grow.

Parents need to be involved and advocate for their children, but this becomes more challenging when you have to battle and implore these individuals to work together. I want each of these entities to think what they are offering is the best of the best and I want teachers and therapist to be uber passionate about their jobs, but when do these people realize that I am the ONLY one who is an expert on my child and it is up to me to decide what is best for them. After all... I am mayor of this town!

I am having such a hard time getting our ABA provider to work with our school. I feel like I have to make a choice and am backed into a corner doing so. It is really frustrating, even for me who is a very strong advocate for my children. I have never been afraid to speak up on my kids' behalf, but even I am exhausted with this situation. I am eager to have the kids start the center and move on, but I want to hang on to the school for Avery and I will have to fight tooth and nail to make that work. For Max, school is not an option so it is a no-brainer decision, but for Avery it is not so clear. I am gonna stick to my guns though and do my best. I just don't understand why I can't have a little of both. If I am willing to do the work so should they. Ah yes, the battle continues. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. ABA stands for applied behavior analysis therapy. It is a 1:1 way of teaching skills to children with autism that comes from a more behavioral philosophy. It really breaks down skills in a way that has helped my kids so much. It is pretty popular amongst families with kids on the autism spectrum. I am grateful for the amazing therapists we have worked with. FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete