Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Big Changes Ahead...

Well in about a month the kids start their center based ABA services. I am so excited to see them move on to the next step and continue their journey. It will be so good for both Max and Avery in so many ways.  At this point I am thinking they will need about 2 years of therapy at the center. This is a really big step for our whole family. Big changes ahead....

I get my house back to "normal" and my kids get to venture off into the next phase of their education and therapy. We are so blessed in so many ways. I am scared the center may not be a good fit or not a good enough fit for the sacrifices we are making to accommodate their schedule. I fear that it may be good for one child and not the other too. Thinking back though, I have been scared every step of the way so far. First, after Max's initial diagnosis, I was scared to up and move and leave family while I was 7 mos pregnant. Then I was nervous about hauling a newborn and 2 1/2 y/o around to therapy appointments and school with Max. I was also afraid when we were about to open our home and lives to daily therapy.  When we learned Avery also had autism, I panicked about having to go through this stress for TWO kids!  Suffice it to say, this whole adventure has me filled with trepidation with each new step that comes along. I should remember though, we made it through everything so far, so this new phase will work too. Things really do have a way of always working out! Who knows, maybe I will even regain my career again at some point. The options are endless.

2 comments:

  1. I understand "fear". Fear has a new meaning, new value and it can rob me of a lot of happiness if I let it. I get the fighting the every step of the way, not knowing how that next phase will pan out. What I have learned as well as my gut is usually right. If it seems it might be hard, it probably will be hard. I don't think anything about your story or our story is easy. It is foreign to all of us- so every inch forward is accomplished with planning, advocating, communicating, researching, trusting and faith. I always pray for the right people to be in our lives, in my life, in Andrew's life, my girls and husbands. I pray for that one professional who really understands this whole process and believes my child can get better, grow, get stronger while understanding the family dynamics as well. It is truly a leap of faith.....this whole process. I hate change and I challenge it more often than not. What seems appealing in your case, is you seem to be sending them to a place that is a good fit for them?? Anyhow-my prayers are with you as well. Say hi to Mike for me.....and Kelli too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be a big change for you guys. You have done an amazing job rolling and adjusting with every change you have been given so far. This will be a great opportunity for Max and Avery--- and Zoe too!

    ReplyDelete